How To Apply
A CIG funding notice is announced each year. Funds for single- or multi-year projects, not to exceed three years, are awarded through a nationwide competitive grants process. Projects may be watershed-based, regional, multi-state or nationwide in scope. The natural resource concerns eligible for funding through CIG are identified in the funding announcement and may change annually to focus on new and emerging, high-priority natural resource concerns.
The CIG state component emphasizes projects that benefit a limited geographical area. Participating states announce their funding availability for CIG competitions through their state NRCS offices. For additional information about State CIG competitions, please contact your State NRCS office or search for the latest postings here.
Up to $25 million annually is available for On Farm Trials, which support more widespread adoption of innovative approaches, practices and systems on working lands. On-Farm Trials projects feature collaboration between NRCS and partners to implement on-the-ground conservation activities and then evaluate their impact. Incentive payments are provided to producers to offset the risk of implementing innovative approaches
- Webinars and FAQs
DocumentCIG Classic 2021 Applicant FAQs (268.36 KB)DocumentOn Farm Trials 2021 Applicant FAQs (260.83 KB)
- Examples of Past CIG Funding Opportunities
Document2021 CIG Classic Funding Opportunity (697.7 KB)Document2021 CIG On Farm Funding Opportunity (743.39 KB)
- Sample Grant Application Documents
DocumentSample Cash Contribution Commitment Letter (27.06 KB)Document
Links to additional resources that may be helpful for CIG applicants.
- CIG and Historically Underserved Producers
- CIG Overview for Historically Underserved (PDF)
- Grantsmanship 101 for CIG Applicants (PDF)
- Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS)
- EDF Practitioner’s Guide to Conducting Budget Analyses for Conservation Agriculture
- System for Awards Management (SAM)
- 2 CFR Part 200: Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards
- Contact Us
For additional questions, contact the NRCS CIG team at firstname.lastname@example.org.